Well happy Pioneer Day, I know the Hawkes family had a great celebration ;)
Well I'm an old man. I have to tell people that I am 21 now. Then once I tell them that they just laugh and tell me that I look like I'm 14. That's good right? ;) I guess when I'm 99 it'll be a good thing. The missionaries that I live with tried to surprise me but my companion walked in first and they scared him good. I was down the stairs still and my companion said, '' Uh....that was a big spider". Nice try... It was good though. I was kind of sad that I got transferred from my last area right before my birthday because things would have been better, but I'm here to teach not have birthday parties.
Saturday was one of the best days ever. It was one of the funniest nights I've ever had. I'll start out by saying bats in the house! We were just sitting and the all of the sudden a black bat just fell from the ceiling. My companion is scared to death of any critter so he screamed. Our Brazilian ran and started poking it and stuff. We all stared filming but then the bat got up and started flying a bit. So 3 grown men started booking it and screaming like little girls. One was up on a chair cowering in fear, the other one was already out of the veranda. It was hillarious. We tried to get it out but it kept flying so we just ran around screaming and yelling "Kill it!" "Flush it down the toilet" "It's spreading diseases!" Stuff like that. The kid on the chair just kept saying Woah Woah! Luckily I filmed it but it's not any professional footage. Then guess what?! Another bat fell down from the ceiling! It was a crazy night. Me and my comp sleep out on the veranda so I was petrified every time I heard bat chirping around us. I was sure they were gathering the bat armies to come and nibble out our eyes. Needless to say I didn't sleep very well.
[Suggestions from Dad that he record more events.] I've been better and writing stuff down, but I'm not sure what all I should write. Plus it's a pain to write words and letters and stuff. :) The hardest part about taking pictures is the constant fear that someone is going to stab you to death to get your camera. So It's hard to carry around your camera. I want to take more pictures though.
Also I have some great news. We officially have churro vans in our area! They drive little micro asian vans and they have about 5 people crammed into them. You wave them down and they are all hunched over making your churros. It's great. They only cost about 60 cents too. I'm definitely going to get a picture of them. MMM churros.
This area is pretty hard. We are having an awful time trying to find new people to teach. Here I am complaining but I suppose in the US the missionaries have that sort of problem for 2 years not just one area. We are going to people's houses but none of them want anything. All the references we have are weak. I was reading the other day somewhere in the Book of Mormon 2 Nephi or Jacob about how we should have patience during our times of affliction. I realized I should probably be patient and just keep going. It's hard since we live with the LZ's and I don't want to let them or Pres. Souza down. The ward is really good and the area has had success in the past so I don't know what we are doing wrong. It's a good humbling experience though. I have a lot to change so hopefully the Lord can help me in these next months before I go home. I want to be different after the mission and I want to stay that way! Sadly, my companion says that BYU-I doesn't offer Portuguese classes so that is a bummer. One of my biggest fears is losing the ability to speak! Maybe I'll learn Spanish again...maybe not :)
No comments:
Post a Comment