Monday, October 11, 2010

11 Oct 2010 - Henrique Jorge Area (Dad)

[Dad mentioned some scriptures regarding why Jesus Christ suffered death (2 Nephi 9:5 and 3 Nephi 27:14).] I was reading in Romans (because Romans teaches you everything you need to know ;) and it talks about this a little bit too. I will have to see what I can do about those scriptures :)

[I really appreciate your insights into and viewpoint about your experiences. You see beyond the surface of experiences and understand the significance behind them, like what you talked about last week in describing the tough times and the point of a mission being more than teaching, but including experiences, feelings, etc. (although I didn't catch the full meaning of Paul/Jeffrey's experience with eating something nasty and putting pieces in his pocket; what was the nasty thing, by the way?).
Getting beyond the superficial meaning of life's events (and everything else) can make a big difference in our perspective.] Just things I was thinking, the Paul thing was kind of random but the point was I think that Paul had a lot more experiences than the stuff that he wrote about. I know those experiences with Christ changed his life and helped him to become better. Also, they gave him thoughts or feelings he will never forget. I was eating Mandioca which is a root and is kind of like a potato. But it was nasty beyond belief so I stuffed it in my pocket so that I could finish faster. It might have been better with something on it, but it was just plain. That and Doce de Leite on cheese are the only things that I haven't liked so far. Coconut water is nothing to get excited about. Açaí is a miracle fruit, nectar from heaven. I could eat it everyday. Maracujá is good too, but it makes you sleepy (Passion Fruit). I have had a little bit of starfruit too but it tastes like apple. Guava is nasty too. There are tons of fruits that I haven't tried yet though. It's hard to look beneath the surface sometimes, especially when things are hard. One of our investigators was talking about how it's easy to thank the Lord in the good times but when they turn bad you forget about him and worry about yourself. The area is still hard here and the members aren't helping, nothing is really getting better. I will just keep working though and pray for miracles to keep happening. I did have a cool experience with a drunk yesterday. He was screaming at us that his name was Michael and he tried to shake my hand. It's an unwritten law that you never shake drunk people's hands. Instead he grabbed my hand and yelled we are going to church together. If only all the people had this kind of will to go to church :)

No comments:

Post a Comment