Monday, October 24, 2011

24 Oct 2011 - Jardim América Area (Dad)

[Thanks for the pictures. I assume you shared the pitcher of acai with a family of 12 and I was surprised that the Brazilian basketball standards are 20 feet high, but the orange juicer looks like it could fill up a few barrels.] Har har, I should have shared it with 12 people, but instead I ate it all myself. Hey I was just starting the jump! The Elder didn't take a picture when I was hanging on the rim. I did 3 back flips after my running start, that is why I'm so close to the hoop.
 
[I was reading the October Ensign this morning. The entire issue is about the Book of Mormon. The last article is by Elder Holland....] I have that talk and we listen to it quite a lot. I love Jeffrey R. Holland. I'm kind of sad he came 2 months before I got here but we have some good news because Bednar is coming the 14th of November with Claudio M. Costa (Area Pres. of Brasil). It will be one and only chance to touch an Apostle ;) Apparently my companion is best friends with Russel M. Nelson's grandson and they have gone skiing together. Who knew that Russell M. Nelson still skis. I guess you know a lot of cool people when you live in SLC. Anyways, that is a good talk.
 
We had a few crazy things happen to us this weekend. One day we were walking a lot and starving a lot. It was at night and we were trying to get a few more new investigators to reach our goal. I was thinking about how hungry I was...staring at the floor. Some lady stopped in front of us and asked if we wanted a sandwich that she had just bought. FOR SURE YES! She couldn't eat it because she has stomach problems (ulcers) and she said that she knew that we walked around in the sun a lot. It turned out to be a huge hamburger so that was cool. It was also delicious. Just a random/unique story that I wish happend more often.
 
There are a lot of Africans that live in this area too because they come here to study and then they go back to work in their country. They are really cool people, and for some reason I like them a lot. I have talked to a few of them in other areas, and they are really nice. Plus they speak English. However, these Africans don't. They are from Guinea Bissau. We have taught a few, but they never really progressed. We talked to  a special one the other day. He is different than the rest. He lives in a one room apartment with his cousin and his bed takes up most of his house.We taught him and he loved it! He said he wanted to follow and be baptized and endure to the end! He went to church on Sunday and liked it. He just showed a desire and the motivation to endure to the end that some members don't even have. He was worried that they didn't have the Church in his home country. I hope they do.....but I told him there was probably, at least, some members there and that God would help him to follow His path. I told him that if he showed the same determination that he showed us, that he could even be a leader/example in his home country. I already feel good about him, and I already love him. I have this weird love for African people. All of them that I have met are so nice and peaceful. I have this weird desire to know them better. If I didn't serve here, I would've loved to serve in Africa! They are all children of God!

No comments:

Post a Comment