Thursday, July 15, 2010

14 July 2010: Brazil MTC, first email

I finally remembered by dumb email info. They expect me to remember, but I havent used this account for like 7 months. Im not going to use any apostrophes because this portuguese keyboard doesnt have any. The Dear Elder letters are printed out and then they mail them to the MTC. I get them as you write them. The district leader checked the mailbox in Provo but here its just me and Elder Olson and that is our whole district. Just us two, its suuuuuper boring. Class....eat...class....eat sleep. I wish my other district was here. I dont think any more are coming today. So just us two for another week. My Pday is wednesday and that is when the new elders come too.

Consultation with an oral surgeon for what? I have no idea what you are talking about.

Oops forgot camera and I dont want to go across the street to the 7th floor to get it. I left from Atlanta. I was going to leave from Dallas but they wanted us to meet other elders in Atlanta. The flight from SLC to Atlanta was so boring. Even though it was 3 hours 40 minutes. The flight to São Paulo was much nicer, it was 10 hours. I probably told you some of this stuff in my other letter. Everyone was watching movies though so I just sat there and tried to sleep.

I gave you my address and they should tell you how to send packages or whatever. They take awhile though and letters take 12 days to get here 8 days to get to the US.

I only called Dad because you didnt answer the home phone! I thought about leaving message but I never leave messages. How did I scare him? because I said I was leaving?

Brasil is ok, its super dirty here in São Paulo. There is a lot of smog and the outdoor basketball court is so nasty black and your hands get black from the dirt in the air. There are like 20 million people here, its intense. I didnt get to see out of the plane because it was dark outside. They have weird grafitti here too, brasileiros dont know how to write I guess. They have some pretty cool pictures though and people paint their buildings for advertisement. The food here is so much better than the Provo garbage food. I went to the temple today and it was nice. The temple is actually pretty big and it takes up a lot of space. I heard that brasil lost before I got here and Spain won. ummmmmmm thats all I guess. I have nothing to tell you really...just the pound my head against the wall boredom of classes and eating all day. Its kind of weird in class because its only us to two so when we translate something our teacher just stares at us for an hour in silence but whatever I have a nice body to stare at.

Eu sei que Deus nos ama! Eu sei que José Smith é um profeta verdadeiro e ele traduziu o livro de mórmon por o poder do espírito santo. Então Thomas S. Monson é um profeta também e ele vive hoje. Eu agradeco por este evangelho e amo a igreja de Jesus Cristo dos Santos dos Últimas Dias. Minha misão vai abencoar minha vida! There is part of my testimony in português. It probably has some mistakes but oh well I have been here for only 4 weeks. I wont try to explain how to pronounce stuff.

umm I missed the spiritual experience for july 11th but we watched a talk by Jeffrey R Holland. He gave a devotional in the MTC awhile back and only the MTCs have access to it but it was the best talk I have ever heard. Jeffrey R Holland has such a powerful testimony and he just made me want to stand up and run to Brasil and drop kick the catholic priests and convert people. He talked about how his mission changed his whole life and was related to anything good in his life. He looked the audience straight in the eye and practically yelled Dont you dare go home, dont you dare think this is too hard. We expect a lot from you but we have done everything spiritually possible to prepare you. You dont have the right to let down my grandchildren who love missionaries. You dont have the right to tarnish the rich history of Mission work. It was really powerful, I wish you could watch them. They just testified to me the importance of missionary work and that I need to realize now that this is the most important thing in my life. I would tell any young men that there should be no thought about serving a mission. Go. Drop everything and GO. 3 weeks in Provo beat anything I would be doing for 2 years back at home. The Lord invests so much in us missionaries. This isnt a tourist trip, its not a choice. He send us to the temple for petes sake. The greatest promises we can receive so we can be ready to preach the gospel.

Im done

Love Elder Hawkes

No comments:

Post a Comment