Wednesday, July 21, 2010

21 Jul 2010 - Brazil MTC

[So there are just two of you in your district?] Yep just two in the district, it's kind of boring sometimes, well most of the times. It's hard to practice too so we usually just ask other districts to practice our lessons with. [That does sound a bit tough, although I suppose it is good preparation for the next two years.] Yeah I figured that too, I'm not going to have a district on my mission just me and my companion. [Have any more arrived from Provo this past week?] Nope nobody from Provo yet, it doesn't look like it's going to happen, I don't think they will send anyone here after next week. I dont know why, I guess God doesn't want them here :) [How many missionaries are at the MTC?] I'm not sure what the exact number of missionaries is. It's not a lot probably 200 max or 250. [I assume your teacher is a native Brazilian. Does he speak English too?] Yeah he is native all the teachers speak english. One of my teachers lived in the US so he speaks better than most. The other ones speak english well.

[Hey, what do you mean you only called me because Mom didn't answer the phone?! You bum! You scared me because when I heard your voice I immediately thought, "What happened? Did you break your neck?" You don't expect to receive a phone call from a missionary unless something bad has happened. After the shock, I was glad to hear from you, of course.] I was going to call home to tell everyone but nobody answered so yes you were my second choice! Oh yeah I guess I should have said something like that to throw you off. [I'm interested to hear what the good food is at the MTC there. I assume it is something Brazilian as opposed to cafeteria food.] Yeah it's meat and all you can eat beans pretty much. With fruits and nasty assorted salads and questionable things. [It was interesting reading what you wrote in Portuguese. I was kind of surprised that I understood virtually every word, although that probably wouldn't be the case if you actually spoke it. Spanish made hard, is what it looks like.] Portuguese is the same thing, just some of the verb conjugations are different. J makes a juh sound di = gee sound ti=chi te= chi only at the end of a word de= gee at end of word. There you pretty much have it now. [I assume Mom already told you Michael got the job in Dallas he had before his mission. Poor guy has to drive through the nasty traffic in the comfort of a car with no air-conditioning, but that's kind of in keeping with the spirit of Bangkok and Sao Paulo. He's already managed to get lost three times, but I think he's gotten it figured out now.] Well I can't make new paragraphs anymore but mom already told me about michael, you should just give him a bike. Well I have to write more emails and not enough time on this nazi timer. Love you Dad -------Elder Hawkes

No comments:

Post a Comment