Monday, August 30, 2010

30 Aug 2010 - Henrique Jorge Area

[We just got back from Utah today. We spent a few days in the mountains of Colorado on the way up in Breckenridge, a ski resort (no snow this time of year though). Lauren, Michael, and I took a few trips down an alpine slide.... Somehow I managed to get dislodged from my sled on one run and left a few square inches of skin from my elbows on the track, so I had some nifty looking souvineers to remember the trip by.] Who needs mountains, all you need is desert and dust in the air. What is there to do on a ski resort but play in the snow? That sounds safe, fiberglass and sled.  I can imagine the excitement as you steered to your death. Oh your injuries explain the safeness and security of this slide. Well I guess you can sell the house and move up north now so that you can enjoy the mountains now that you're old an alone. The mountains are ok for fishing, hunting and the occasional man trip but other than that they just kill people. [The three of us (Mom stayed at the condo and read a book) also hiked a few miles up in the mountains to a small lake.... Lauren hiked around the little lake to a snow patch and said she saw some bear tracks in the snow. We didn't slay any bear or chipmunk for food though since I was wise enough to pack some water and fig newtons (hm, and for some reason the old man ended up carrying the backpack).] We did the same thing on the man trip, and we found a natural lake from a spring. Oddly they had bear tracks there too, I have pictures of those. Well we had already ate all the poptarts and drank the tuna water before we killed chipmunks for food! The old man carried it because you put granola food in it and you're from California, the Texas Proud couldn't carry that stuff.

Yep I'm in Henrique Jorge right now, I have no idea where that it is in relation to Downtown Fortaleza. Just the usual...bars, people riding bikes, old fat guys walking around shirtless, and sad reminders every 2 steps of Brasil's defeat. Every street has a Brazil flag painted on a wall or street or both, every telephone wire has yellow and green streamers. I tell my companion that they didn't think about all the possibilities before they plastered hexa (7 championships) every where. Its hard to walk here, I'm always tripping. So when I trip and lunge forward I say "Vamos correr!!" lets run!! so my companion doesn't think I am a dork and my plan for tripping and falling is "Vamos sentar aqui e orar" you can read it, its the same in spanish. That hasn't happened to me yet but a kid we were with slipped on the curb and I said that and we all sat there for a bit and then kept moving.

I'm glad to be here. We have one family of 4 that is close to being baptized and we just have to get them married so they can be baptized. I am so happy for them, I have only known them for a 12 days and I can't wait for them to receive the blessings. I love this work and I love this church so much. I fear everyday that I'm not doing enough or all that I can because I don't want to come home with any regrets. I love these people. I love preaching the gospel. Nobody here hates us, I have had a few old ladies tell me to go back to my country but thats only because they love me ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment