Monday, September 13, 2010

13 Sep 2010 - Henrique Jorge Area

[BYU played at Air Force on Saturday. A dismal day, unfortunately... Oh, and #13 Virginia Tech lost to powerhouse James Madison, 16-21.] Lost to Air Force? Those bums can't lose to teams like that.... I am getting crazy information here. We had Zone Pday today so we were with a bunch of missionaries and they said that BYU won and some other kid that went to Virginia Tech before the mission said they lost to another team. Oh well.

[Ok, I see Fernandes Tavora on the map. Unfortunately, big Catholic church and big field aren't labeled on Google Maps. Can you give a cross street, etc?]
I live on Rua Audizio Pinheiro and Rua Prof. Edgard de Arruda, it's at an intersection. 466 Rua Audizio Pinheiro I think. The church is big and has a field in the background. It has 2 schools on either side of it. We live in an apartment right now but we are supposed to be changing to anothe apartment one of these days because ours is too small and has 1 tank of water for 4 people. I actually don't know if we have one, but pretty much every house has a terracotta roof. [On the Church lds.org map site, I see many buildings where the wards meet at 9-10 a.m. and 4-6 p.m. Is that correct, that some wards meet in the early evening? Just curious why.] Our ward meets from 9am  to 12 pm. The Fernandes Tavorá ward meets from 4-7. I guess it's because the building is small and can only fit one ward at a time and here in Brazil lunch is the most important meal and biggest. Plus here in Ceará everybody is asleep/drunk from 1-3 pm so I think thats why they do it like that. All the Brazilians apologize and swear that this is not what Brazil is like. Men hardly ever have shirts on unless they are going to school or work. Everyone sits on the sidewalk around 6 when the sun goes down and just stares at the other side of the street. Like I said everyone sleeps after lunch. There are no rules here and there was an accident at our intersection and like 3 cops just kept driving. Cops do nothing here. It's just a real lazy part of Brazil.

This week was Independence Day here on the 7th so there was a lot of drunk people and the schools all had parades. At night we were walking around and here they have bars everywhere and they are usually on the corners too. They are all outside as well. One of them had a band, or a guy and a microphone, and they were singing ABBA songs. There was 6-8 drunk people all huddled around the one and only table wobbling back and forth to the song. I told my companion it was the lamest club I have ever seen, but it was funny. You have to watch out for the drunk people too because they never let go of your hand. For some reason they always want to know what time it is too. It was a good week, we had a lot of new investigators and one of the girls told us she wanted to be baptized the first sunday we took her to church so that was good. We saw a wild parrot too, it was pretty....and Elder Alves tried to catch it but he failed. Usually all we see are Calungas (sp?) which are just lizards. The church building is the gathering place for the cats too so we have like 15 chilling in the parking lot. I slept outside the other day on our porch thing that we have and it was terrible. It's super windy here so I was freezing cold and of course it rained during the night too so we bailed and went back inside at 4 to finish sleeping.

Elder Hawkes

No comments:

Post a Comment