Monday, November 29, 2010

29 Nov 2010 - Alvorada Area (Dad)

[Scruffy died Wednesday. The vet says he had a brain tumor. I can't even write this without starting to cry again.] I have to say I cried when I found out Scruffy died too. It's sad but Scruffy lived a good life, lazy but good. We will have animals in heaven too, so maybe Scruffy will find us there :) It's better to learn about it here because I have something to do to take my mind off of it. [I've never lost anyone whom I was very close to, and this gives me some small insight into how much more I would miss a family member or friend.] Come to think of it, nobody that I am close to has died either. [Don't you guys ever leave this life before I do.] I don't think I will leave this world anytime soon, but you and Mom have to live forever too. :)

[Hopefully you had some extra good beans and rice or something delish for your meal, not that Thanksgiving is a Brazilian holiday.]
I don't even remember what I had for lunch on that day. I actually forgot about Thanksgiving because nobody says anything about it. I remembered when somebody was talking about it during District Meeting. I had a turkey sandwich and some saltine crackers for my Thanksgiving dinner though :) I have a picture but this computer doesn't want to accpet my SD card. Someday you will see it. I sent my SD card a few days ago, but they aren't too exciting. I'm pretty sure I had rice and beans, and baked chicken on Thanksgiving because that is what we have in 90% of the houses. This place is a chicken killing/baking machine. The typical Brazilian street has at least 2 chicken bakers, 23 bars, barbers, 3 churches, and a homemade clothes store. That is just a small street, the number increases exponentially as the street gets longer. This area has a lot of soccer fields too, it kind of looks like an old west mission sometimes. There is a huge field in the middle with houses all around it, and a huge Catholic church. During the soccer games you have to watch out or you might get pegged in the head by a ball. It's kind of cool actually. I have yet to see anyone score a goal, I think they just aim for the missionary's heads.

[Your comments last week about teaching by the Spirit vs. by memorized lessons is right on target. Preach My Gospel is truly a revelatory change in missionary work. Where you are in your effectiveness as a missionary is far ahead of where I was those many years ago (or where I am now, for that matter). It is the Spirit that teaches, testifies, and changes hearts. We are simply instruments or conduits for the Spirit. But we are still key in the sense that God works through men to accomplish His work and that work won't happen unless we do our part. The people of Limhi would not have been converted if Alma had not repented and taught them. The Lamanites would not have been converted if the sons of Mosiah had not gone amongst them and served, testified to, and taught them. Through His faithful servants God blesses His children. And you are one of those chosen servants and He will bless you eternally for all that you do in His service.] It's not all about the PMG though, like you said Alma baptized a lot of people without it :) Paul baptized a lot of people, you just have to be faithful and work hard, or be personally taught by Jesus. However, PMG helps a lot for sure. It was revealed by God, and therefore should be used with that in mind. It's also a lot nicer to just talk to people and then teach them certain parts of the 1st lesson etc. There is no point teaching a hardcore Baptist that God is our loving Heavenly Father because he already knows that. It's better to go right for the throat and teach about authority and Apostasy. yeah! :) Then the Book of Mormon, then whatever 2134 scriptures he tries to show, you can just smile and nod and tell him to pray to find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment