Sunday, April 17, 2011

17 April 2011 - Pedras Area

You'd be happy to know that I got my hair cut today and due to a lack of communication, the lady shaved my head with a #2. I told her #2 on the sides and 3 on top but whatever. Now I can wait longer to get my hair cut.

It has been raining TONS here. Which is too bad because my shoes are at the "slightly" punctured stage. So during the rainy days my shoes get totally wet. I don't know if they will last until the 1 year mark. They are good except for when it rains. I guess that what happens when you have to walk everywhere instead of riding a bike. Speaking of mold... it has already taken over a lot of things. Our house isn't water-tight so the walls are wet the ceiling is wet and therefore it makes everything else moldy. My English scriptures are garbage already and my wallet too. Luckily my suit hasn't fallen victim to the mold...yet

[I mentioned an article in the March New Era.] #1 It's april now so I'll probably see that in 2 months. #2 I'm an adult, therefore New Era is petty material and it's doctrinal worth is inferior to that of the Ensign ;)

[I quoted some excerpts from Elder Corbridge's talk in conference a couple of years ago about Jesus Christ being the only way.] That's a powerful message. It's a powerfully true message as well. That's what I am trying to teach the people here, about the path that they need to follow. Something interesting happened the other day when we were waiting for one of baptismal candidates to be interviewed. We had a picture of the Salt Lake Temple in the winter, and the trees had no leafs. A girl asked me if the trees were always like that, I told her no, the picture was taken in the winter. She just kind of nodded her head. It wasn't until I left that I realized that was something completely new to her. Leafs don't fall off trees in her world. This taught me a good lesson, but I'm not sure how ya'll can use it. Preach My Gospel talks about how we need to define words that we teach to help people to understand. Sometimes we teach a lesson to investigators, give a talk, teach Primary kids, etc. using awesome eloquent language. We bare/bear...who knows... our testimony using examples, cool stories, long experiences blah blah but is all that necessary? When the Prophet bears his testimony it is a few sentences at the end of his talk. Sometimes I make a nice invitation to go to church and be baptized and then the person just stares at you, understand nothing. Go back to the basics, the Gospel is basic. It is simple, after all, there are only 5 steps to it. Why make Step 1 sub-step 23 subdivision preliminary step 234? The most powerful lessons are the simplest. That's my sermon. The Lord Jesus Christ, Creator of Worlds, is our Savior. Follow Him. Do everything that you can possibly do to help Him, don't fear the judgements of man. He, not kings or presidents, will exalt you in the last days.

No comments:

Post a Comment