Sunday, April 3, 2011

3 Apr 2011 - Pedras Area (Dad)

[No more BYU sports news for a while.] Make sure you keep me up to date on the BYU cricket matches at least ;)

[General Conference.] I got to watch it this time, all the sessions in English. Nobody drove their truck into the power lines this year. The times are just a bit later, 1-3 pm and 5-7 pm my time. Priesthood is 7-9 AM on Sunday morning. It's good to watch it in English because you can appreciate the jokes they tell and it's easier to understand how much they want you to get married jeeze.. I hope Michael has gotten engaged already. The last thing missionaries want to hear is how much we need to get married, everybody was groaning. Saturday was a blast from the past since the BYU-I choir sang and they showed the new conference center there. (Man there goes my old job, one of the main parts was putting up/taking down chairs for the weekly devotionals in the Gym.....dang) I saw a few people that I knew from the choir, and FHE sister, a girl I use to talk to in my Math class, I saw Evan's sister too. I LOVED the special they had about Christ in between the sessions, if I wanted to be poor and only get work from generous donations from members I too would probably be a Professor of Ancient Scripture ;) I think I have decided that I will continue my history major though, I just can't get enough of it. They showed pictures of Rome too, and I wanted to visit Italy, I just want to travel and learn more! I've decided that I'm going to the BYU center in Jerusalem too ;) That would be the coolest thing ever. I started reading Jesus the Christ for the 3rd time too ;) I was wondering if they have real Jesus the Christ books or just these ghetto paper back ones.

Conference was good. I have repented of my youthful ignorance and follies, like Joseph Smith did. Conference seemed soooo long back in the day, now that I want to soak up every word it passed by so fast. I have sent out a few marriage proposals too so don't worry about that. It's nice when they are thankful for the missionaries too, yep that's me!! I have some news, I don't know how reliable it is, but the temple here looks like it will be completed....never :) Some say 2014-15. It was a good conference though, I loved it. When Thomas S Monson was prefacing the Rome temple, giving a few hints, talking about it was in a special place etc etc one of the missionaries screamed "No way they are going to build a temple in Jerusalem!!!" what a goof. I really like Dallin H. Oaks talk about desire, it's all important as a missionary. You can go and teach people and do the right things, but desire will make you so much more effective. I loved the story he told about the Korean War too, because I like war and because it was a roundhouse drop kick upper cut to the jugular. He was talking about how he gave up his own comfort etc so he could save everyone one of his 'boys' Then I realized that is what I need to do. I should have the desire to do anything for these people because I will see them in heaven and they will wonder why I gave up so easily or why I didn't want to talk to them etc. I like Jeffrey R. Holland, he is my all-time favorite. He does have the best name too, but he is soo powerful. I have every talk I could find of him on my pendrive :) He gave us an undeniable witness of our prophet and a timeless reminder of the importance of General Conference. It was a good end to a terrible week. We have been working our fingers to the bone, teaching teaching, and just when we stopped teaching...we taught some more. Sadly, all of the people we taught this week have already told us they don't want to talk to us anymore. That is the summary of my transfer so far,  it's heart breaking. The beginning of this week, we taught a WONDERFUL family, the same people we helped move...and destroyed their furniture ;) The spirit was so strong and I knew this was an elect family. Unfortunately, the husband kept ducking down or running away from his balcony when he saw us etc. It took us awhile to find him at home and when we talked to him he said he didn't want to give up work so he could go to church. He didn't have the courage to do it. I was crushed, this family was perfect in my sight. I felt during other experiences that they were blessed. I walked the streets sad, and I got home sad. I prayed for this family, I still do. I poured out my heart, but I was a little bitter I guess. I then had an indescribable spiritual experience, maybe one of the most spiritual experiences of my life. The moral of the story is don't let silly things keep you from entering the kingdom of God, just give them up and show faith in the Lord. I don't know what I was supposed to learn from this, but at least I received a powerful witness of the Spirit. God is mysterious, but He is plain and clear in His commandments.

No comments:

Post a Comment