Monday, December 12, 2011

12 Dec 2011 - Palmeiras Area (Dad)

I bet Grandpa is excited that Jimmer is playing on Sacramento, maybe he will get to one of the games :) That reminds me, my companion is from Fairfield, CA. He claims that it is nearish Concord. Random fact...

Well I'm trying to think of a cool story or something like that since I haven't told on in awhile. We are currently playing an intense mix of soccer and ultimate frisbee on P-Days. We play on the outdoor soccer courts (same as basketball courts) and you play the same as ultimate frisbee but you have to throw it into the goals. So basically handball/soccer/water polo/frisbee/sun bathing/sweating a lot....all those sports mixed together. The only time we can play is 1 o'clock because all the children are in school. It also happens to be 6000 degrees outside. If we tipped a cow over on the pavement and covered him with potatoes and carrots we could have roast beef in 3.78 seconds. So anyways I get to live out my dream as a receiver. It's fun. I asked Evan to send me a football so hopefully I will get that :) We went to help some old lady move too. She is a sewer so we had to move 4 sewing machine attached to what seemed like 5 inch think steel tables. As you could imagine the machines weighed a lot and they must have sharpened the edges of the tables to make moving then extra uncomfortable. Not to mention the blades they used as legs to the tables to slice off toes more easily. Somehow we managed to get all these things in the truck. After we had finished all these hard labor we were on our way home in the truck and the guy stopped. So two of the Elders jumped out thinking that he was only going to that spot. He kept going after a few seconds and the Elders started running after us but they didn't make it. They got off far far away from our house...suckers. When the other Elders and I finally got home we made the startling, disappointing discovery that the keys were locked inside the house. So we had to jump the fence and reach in through the window to grab the keys.

This week we worked a ton. Just when we thought the work was done, we worked a ton more. My companion was dying the whole week going to bed at like 9:30, poor kid. After all that work, only 2 people at church and our baptism didn't work out. It was disappointing. I want to have some sort of success after working 2 tons. The Lord is wiser than I am though. When you are at the end of the mission you want to have more success too. You are supposed to know more and be better but I guess people still have their agency... We can all learn good lessons from this. Always bring keys, check to make sure if you will be moving heavy machinery before you promise to help move, and the Lord's ways are higher than our ways and His thoughts are higher than our thoughts. That doesn't mean you need to receive insight to understand His ways and thoughts before we do something. It means we need to do it without that perfect knowledge and if the Lord desires to give us knowledge so that we may know why we are doing what we are doing so be it. I love you all and I know that this church is true. Joseph Smith really did translate the Book of Mormon. Read it, ponder it, study it EVERY DAY. It is a perfect book, it will change our lives. It has already changed our lives. Don't think to yourself that you read it enough and that you study it enough....do it more.

No comments:

Post a Comment